What is meant by confinement food? A woman’s body goes through a lot of changes during pregnancy and childbirth. To compensate the loss special diet is followed after childbirth in certain countries. This food is known as confinement food.
Period of confinement in Singapore:
In Singapore, the period of confinement is 44 days. This means that the special diet is to be followed by new moms for a period of 44 days.
What does this food generally consist of?
Components of this food differ from country to country. But certain components are same, like herbs such as ginger, garlic and turmeric etc. As a general note, food that produces heat is mostly encouraged.
Confinement food practices in Singapore:
- Even in confinement food singapore, the food that generates heat in the body is encouraged whereas those that have a cooling effect are avoided.
- A special drink called “JAMU” is consumed by Singaporean moms.
- “JAMU” is a herbal drink made of turmeric, ginger, lemon and honey which are known for their heating properties.
- “MILK” is a major component in postnatal diet, as its intake is believed to increase production of breastmilk.
- Milk also helps in replenishing the calcium requirements of a new mom.
- Another key component of this diet is “garlic”, which is also known for its property of increasing breastmilk production.
- Fish-papaya soup is also given to new moms in Singapore, since it is considered to be very nutritious.
- Usage of nuts such as almond, cashew etc. is encouraged as they are packed with plenty of nutrients and vitamins.
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach etc. are included in this diet as they are a rich source of iron which will in turn help in compensating for the blood lost in childbirth.
- Consumption of liver and meat is highly recommended as these are rich in protein content.
Food restricted in postnatal diet during confinement period:
- Ice-creams, cold drinks are not permitted as it is believed to cause cold in new moms, thereby effecting the health of mom as well as the newborn.
- Alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited during this period. The main reason behind it being that whatever the mom eats gets passed to the child through breastmilk.
- Raw, uncooked food is also avoided so as to avoid any infection due to contamination.
- Highly spicy food is also restricted since it may lead to digestion issues in the newborn.
- Unpasteurized milk, cheese consumption is also a big “NO” during this period.
Every woman’s body is easily susceptible to many diseases after childbirth. Replenishment of lost nutrients and blood is necessary. Therefore, it is essential that such special diet is followed by new moms’ postpartum.